Monday, April 25, 2011

Ft Frederick

I'm headed up to the Ft Frederick Market Faire this week, so there will be very little (if any) posting.  Sorry, but replacing the worn out binding on my more comfortable stays is taking precedence.  I don't like being poked.  If you're going to be at the event, come over and say hi!  The next weekend will be a shoe workshop as well, but I promise I'll come back even if you don't hear from me for the next two weeks!
I've made some progress on the Calash, so it at least looks like a Calash now.  There's still trimming to be done.  Pleated ribbon around the opening, a big bow in back, ties to close the neck, and I'm going to finish the little cape a few inches shorter than it is now.  It's also a bit wonky in shape, but I'm hoping to fix that with a bit of ingenuity (and applied force).




7 comments:

Clara said...

Oh dear. I would love to be you. Making your own Calashes (which I didn't even know there was such a thing until today) shoes, and (of course) dresses. 'le sigh' I don't have enough money for all of it....so I content myself with watching BBC dramas. :-)

Anonymous said...

Your calash is beautiful. I really like the color of silks, they go perfectly together.
Have great fun at your events. I would love to know more about what you do or learn at your shoe program. I have a reproduction of an old shoe journal, for lack of better terms. I have always wanted to make my own CW shoes. I have thought alot about doing it but have never tried. You are giving me much courage to try,thank you.

Isis said...

Beautiful! And I agree on the lovely colour scheme!

Theodosia Pixietwist said...

Hi! I love your blog and lurk regularly. I was just wondering if you are using a commercially available pattern for the calash or drafting your own? the silk is lovely, is that wire or willow?

thanks!

theo from lebontonoregon.blogspot.com

ColeV said...

Tara- It's actually just a rectangle of fabric, so no pattern needed! The little piece in the back I drafted up, but that's unique to each calash and creates the overall shape. The structure inside is round caning. I'll do a post about calashes in the near future that has better information.

emala said...

Delicioso blog. Gracias por tanta información por la moda del pasado

Anonymous said...

Hi Tara and Nicole,
The rectangle is taken from dimensions which Janea Whitacre, the Presenter of the Burnley & Trowbridge Workshop Nicole took, devised after studying a number of calashes (and manufacturing a number!) to get the proportions correct. She also modified the neck area to make it easier to reproduce, As you can see from Nicole's almost finished project, it comes out lovely! Green was a common color used as was pink for the lining, although I think Nicole chose more of a blush color to compliment her lovely china doll complexion!