Friday, May 20, 2011

New Style Bonnet

So, I know the silk bonnet has recently caught on, and original images of it seem to be popping up everywhere.  However, when I was looking through, I came across this other style I'm quite curious about. It's almost like a poke bonnet.  I've only found three images of it, possibly two others of a slightly different style. I'm throwing out a fishing line to see if any of you have come across any other images in your wanderings before I begin to dig.

The first one is definitely from straw.  Distinctly like the early 19th century poke bonnets.  And it's dated 1782!

This one is harder to tell if it's straw or silk covered, but the trimming is very similar to the bonnet above. Dated to 1786, so a little later.

In the upper left of the image you can see another lady with a black bonnet, again of the shape above.  It's certainly covered in fabric, but has that same conical shape with structured back.  From 1775.

This earlier one (1774) has similarities in shape to those above, but since it's from the front it's hard to tell.  It's not quite like the bonnets we see made today, the top appearing structured with pleated fabric rather than poofed.

This one is from 1794, later than the period I'm really trying to find.  However, it has a similar appearance.  The brim seems shorter and more acutely angled.

The last image is of an extant bonnet.  Now, the Museum of Fine Arts doesn't note anything about the date (anyone know who to harass for that, since they mention knowing provenance?).  We can tell it's prior to 1899 since it was donated then, but that doesn't say much.  I don't know enough about hats of the 19th century to know if it would fit in anywhere else (any ideas??).  However, it bears resemblance to the bonnets of the late 18th century.


8 comments:

ZipZip said...

Dear Nicole,
Those bonnets are splendid, and especially the MFA one. Its style really does remind me of the 18th century.

I only have a sample from the 1790s, but there is text to go along with it. See the April 1794 plate from Gallery of Fashion posted on Cathy Decker's old site, and look at the figure to the far right. She is wearing what the text called as demi-gypsy hat. It has the back of the brim cut off, so that it has some feel of a poke bonnet. The figure to the left wears a regular gypsy hat, tied, as frequently done, to make the sides come down. The gypsy hat was popular in these years, and men's hats were rather similar. See http://locutus.ucr.edu/~cathy/heid/ND6-1794.html.
Hope this is even faintly helpful,
Natalie

Lauren said...

Oooh, very lovely!

Lauren R said...

Ah! this is perfect, thank you for posting! Now I can cover my crappy modern hair completely, if I make one of these :-D. Nicole, what would I do without you?

ColeV said...

Natalie: Thank you! They do have some similarities. One of the major differences I noticed between these and later poke bonnets are the sloping sides on these. The one in your picture has the later angle, like it's been cut off. Wonder if that clues in to the transition?

Lauren R: What would I do without you?? A quarter of my traffic comes from your site! I'm always glad to help!

Katherine Caron-Greig said...

Nothing intelligent to add, other than I just saw the Society of Patriotic Ladies yesterday and noticed the same hat. I did think about posting it, but was on a search for cuff ideas so quickly forgot. I'm quite glad that you did!

Taylor said...

Check out this amazing one from 1732 (!!!) by Antoine Pesne. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_H0Gsl88Lvxw/TAkVRKnqr1I/AAAAAAAAACE/iLBCrPTzALM/s1600/anna.bmp

It's from Eastern Germany, but still. Incredibly early for a straw poke bonnet!

ColeV said...

Thank you Taylor!! I've had that image in my head for the last week, but couldn't remember where it was or if I was just making stuff up!

ColeV said...

Oh, wow, that connection to Protestant Refugees from Salzburg just led to awesomeness.
http://germanhistorydocs.ghi-dc.org/sub_image_s.cfm?image_id=2761
I found another image last night of an English woman from 1780. I couldn't decide what type of bonnet she had on, I think that matches!!
http://lwlimages.library.yale.edu/walpoleweb/oneitem.asp?imageId=lwlpr04502
Makes me wonder why all the begere hats now-a-days.....