Monday, April 16, 2012

Louis XV Shoes

If the mystery shoes weren't obvious from the last hint, they certainly will be now!
I'm aiming for a 1720-40 style of English origin, constructed as a randed shoe.  Randed shoes were the typical way to construct women's footwear during that time.  Some "sturdy" shoes were made in other ways, but we'll talk about that when I get to making those.  I'll talk a lot about randed construction as I make them (pictures help), but it basically comes down to the small strip of white leather between the upper and outsole.
They should end up looking a lot like these:

One of the things that will make them English is the toe shape.  Above is certainly pointed, but it's a very straight point.  Compare to this pair of shoes from the Shoe Icons site:
They have a toe shape more like a mole's snout (feel free to shout out more appropriate animals, we spend an hour coming up with ideas).

Here's my first assembled upper:
I splurged a bit on Scalamandre silk (just a sample size).  But it's so worth it!  What I wouldn't give to have a gown made from this (other than $800).  This pair is lined with linen instead of whittaw.


Comtesse Olympe de la Tour D'Auvergne said...

Very excited to see these come together, the fabric is perfect!

vintagevisions27 said...

Gorgeous! Can't wait to see them finished!

A traveller in time said...

OMGosh you are incredible. They look divine already!

Elis Vanity said...

Hi. I am doing a school project and I need to do a pincushion shaped like that shoe, do you have a pattern forit? Thank you