This pair of shoes is a first for me in many ways. The heel, however, posed the biggest challenge. I'm accustomed to adjusting a shaped heel down to fit my size, but those heels aren't the right shape for pre-1760 styles. So, I bought a turning block of birch wood. It came 3x3x12 and I'll manage to get two pairs out of it. First, it need a good chopping down to get it as close to the final product as possible. I don't generally do wood work, which means I don't have proper tools. I will definitely be buying some before the next pair- this was just painful (I managed four blisters). The initial part was easy since I have a bandsaw. There is definitely a reason why heel making was a separate trade in the 18th century.
On the left of the image is the pre-shaped heel I've used before. The other two pieces are what I managed to carve away with the bandsaw. You can see the shapes I drew out for the different views- a long way to go.
All of the detail carving was done with my regular shoemakers knife. I'm not sure what tools I need yet, but some thing that allows me to carve out concave curves would be amazing. The middle example isn't quite there yet, but you can see the shape emerge.
On the right is the nearly finished heel. I made some minor adjustments after checking it against the shoe; tapering in the sides more and trying to remove some bulk from the top back to allow it to fit into the heel cover.
The finished product pasted in. There's a very nice curve going from the upper into the heel in back. I was surprised at how easily the cover pulled around the complex curves.
Next I'll trim in the sole and heel piece to match the angle of the heel.